Monday, April 4, 2016

Overwhelmed? Just Keep On.

Mr. Helen has a theory that my body is in some sort of hormonal cycle, even though I am well into the menopausal years.  He might be right, because again, on the 4th week, I had a gain.  So very weird. I'm 8 weeks in and have collected $30 now - that should be $40 though.  Irritating.  But, I'm still glad I'm not looking at the actual numbers and this actually makes me even more determined to get my $5 next week and see if in this next "cycle" I can stop that fourth week trend.

At least before that weigh in, I had a great run.  So great that I RAN 10 MILES!! We had a terrible weekend here, rain, sleet, snow but when I got up on Saturday it wasn't quite raining yet and I got out early thinking maybe I'd beat it.  I should have worn a hat because I was far enough into the run when it started that I would have kept going if I didn't have water pouring down my face. So, I turned and came home with the idea that I'd finish up on the treadmill.  As it turned out, I was feeling so good, I kept running right past the 3 miles that would have given me 8 and ran 5 instead, netting 10 miles.  And I felt good the whole time, although I did realize if I'm going to keep doing this I need to buy some Shot Bloks as at about the 8 mile mark I could feel my energy draining.  BUT I RAN 10 MILES!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the process of trying to live a healthy life and be my best self, when the process seems unending, I try to remember back to my marathoning days to when my mantra at 22 miles with 4.2 to go was "Just Keep Running, Just Keep Running."  But sometimes, even with mantras and encouragement of all sorts, it's just plain hard and I feel overwhelmed. The ultimate goal (in my case, wearing a size 10) can seem very far away and though progress is being made, the ups and downs added to thoughts of just how long it will take, can get to me. Even though I am trying really hard to be objective this time around - and even am being quite willing to adjust my mini goals, it feels hard some days. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I follow a page on Facebook, Favorite Run, that is full of inspirational information and posts aimed at runners.  Lately they've been sharing posts from people who have reached their goals, some of them against incredible odds.

Wouldn't you know, one morning as I was perusing Facebook before I ran, I came across a post that was particularly serendipitous in its timing and its message, as that very morning, I woke up feeling tired and overwhelmed.

I'm sharing it here, mostly to bookmark it for myself, but also because maybe it will help someone else too. (Underlined sentences done for emphasis, by me.)

"At 260 lbs, greatly depressed and in constant pain, I finally came to the realization that if I did not make a change, my life would be significantly shortened. I began logging what I ate and I started doing short exercise sessions with a goal of simply getting up and moving 2-3 times a week. At times staying on track was a challenge. It required time. It took sacrifice. And it took commitment. I tried to concentrate on achieving small goals rather than focus on how far I still had to go and feeling discouraged and overwhelmed. I fell, I rose, I made mistakes, I hit slumps, but I never gave up. Close to 3 years later I have lost 120 lbs and I have fallen in love with fitness, particularly running (running has changed my life!). The weight loss is a huge accomplishment on its own, but one of the greatest effects of my journey is that my outlook on life has completely changed. After being a shell of a human barely getting by day to day, I now have energy and zest for life. I see beauty, joy, and possibility everywhere! If I can give any advice to those with goals for weight loss, it would be to not seek the perfect diet, a hardcore workout routine, or instant results. Focus on one thing at a time, creating lasting lifestyle changes, and continue to build on small victories along the way. You CAN become the person you dream of. It's never too late and it is always possible. heart emoticon" ~ Melissa viaInstagram.com/chix_run_utah




16 comments:

  1. Congrats on running 10 miles! That is awesome! I am impressed not everyone can run 10 miles.

    Thanks for sharing that quote from the Facebook page I am passing it along to my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inspirational woman! Both you and Melissa :D

    I love small goals, but sometimes I have to make those goals so small that it get depressing, i.e. just making it to lunchtime without stress eating LOL.

    I need a new mantra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL @ your mini-goal. I get it. Its one of my goals many days.

      Delete
    2. That's kind of the point Lori. Sometimes you just gotta break it down and not look at the big picture (or in my case, my big butt). Sometimes it's all about not eating when you're not truly hungry and that can be a mini goal many times in one day. When you manage that celebrate and move on to the next mini goal!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the 10 miles - it is very necessary to yell that in all caps - love!

    That's kind of my epiphany I've had about my self-sabotage. I am going to post about it tomorrow, but basically I've realized that I almost always have one foot on the past I can't have anymore, and one foot in my unknown future, which leaves TODAY without being present. I am probably not explaining it right, but it shifted my whole mind set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mean to yell but I am excited about it!

      Delete
  4. Yep, I get it. One thing you said "when the process seems unending"--the process IS unending. And that thought can be depressing too.

    CONGRATS on running 10 miles! Unbelievable!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say, I really appreciate the days when everything is flowing and I don't feel like it's unending lol!

      Delete
    2. I agree Helen. And thankfully, there are a lot of days like that. Its just sometimes that the unendingness really gets to me.

      Delete
  5. Woo hooo to your ten miles! That is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still on a high from it lol!

      Delete
  6. So happy for your 10 miler!!! It's about damn time running has come back to you!

    Mini goals. I need to practice them this week. Day one: let's NOT eat candy. Anything else is OK. Just no freaking candy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now see, that is exactly the type of goal that is reachable - and which I have also had. You can do it!

      Delete
  7. Happy for your 10 miles!!!! You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woohoo: 10 miles! It seems ages ago since I did that LOL.

    You are doing great and the mini goals is a good idea to start practicing myself.

    ReplyDelete