Thursday, April 21, 2016

Thursday Things

The presidential primary is in Connecticut next week and the phone calls (which we don't answer), along with TV ads have ramped up.  The phone calls are pretty annoying, especially since when they get our answering machine they just hang up.  Connecticut isn't usually a contender because our primary is late, but this year it seems we are, therefore we are bombarded.  I have taken a position though and I'm sticking with it:


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last Sunday, I made this Roasted Vegetable Pasta,.  I actually got the recipe back in 2013 when it was printed in the magazine, and it is one of our favorites. You can serve it as a side dish, or as a main course if you want to eat vegetarian. It works really well for carbo-loading for a long run!  As usual, I had to make modifications because Mr. Helen will not eat asparagus, nor will he eat anything that asparagus has touched.  I will share my version of the recipe next week as I actually think mine is better, and because what I do makes it more servings, it is also less calorie-dense. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last week Shelley wrote a recap about the Statesman 10K that she ran.  In it, she posted a photo and description of a breakfast that she gets call Eggs Francisco.  The minute I saw that photo, I knew I would recreate that dish at home.  Last Saturday, after running 10.2 miles, I decided it was time.  The only error I made was forgetting how hungry and ready to eat I'd be and not really wanting to take the time to make queso.  While I will make this again, and make the queso on Friday night, this time I simply melted some cheddar on top.  I present to you Helen's copycat Eggs Franciso:  english muffin topped with scrambled eggs, bacon, chopped tomatoes, avocado and cheese.  Holy yum, this was delicious!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: If your body image is excellent, if you're feeling really good about yourself and the improvements you're making to your health and fitness, do not, under any circumstances, try on bathing suits.  Especially not under fluorescent lighting.

OY.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Solution to feeling bad about your body:  wear an outfit that makes you feel pretty!  This has been my favorite outfit this spring.  I love the bright colors - and what's not to love about hot pink?  Also, it's extremely comfortable and versatile, including the shoes.  I often wear it when I need to run errands, or grocery shop after work because I can stand to be in it for 12 hours.  I wish my whole closet was filled with things like this. (That's not a Star Wars light saber on the floor, it's the sun coming through a crack in my office shades lol!)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are going out to eat this weekend to celebrate my brother and mother's birthdays.  As their birthdays are only 4 days apart, my poor brother hasn't had his own birthday party since he became an adult because it's just easier for all of us to get together once.  This will make two weekends in a row where I've eaten a restaurant meal - woot!  Plus, on Monday, Mr. Helen suggested we go to our local clam shack and get fish and chips, so that was another meal out. As much as I love cooking, it really is nice to have a break and I haven't had many lately.

I was thinking about this and remembering how, back in my hardcore dieting days, I would have looked up the restaurant menu and decided what would be "okay" to eat and probably eaten next to nothing or maybe some lettuce beforehand.  It feels good to be on the path I am traveling now, where nothing is forbidden and I just don't worry about it, yet try to be reasonable with my portions. After 30 years of diets, I feel like I'm finally finding my way.  Not to say that it's always easy, or that I'm perfect, but it seems I am just finding peace with food, and that's a good thing.

One of these weeks, I'll have to photo document some daily meals vs. weekend splurges just to have visualization that what I'm doing is not dieting!

9 comments:

  1. Those pants are awesome! I think you should have just said that was a lightsaber because that would be cool...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Helen, being the Star Wars fanatic that he is would agree with you lol.

      Delete
  2. Lori loves the pants, I LOVE the jacket. But the whole outfit is great. You can wear those shoes for 12 hours? Golly, I can't even wear heels for five minutes. Sniff. Feeling sorry for myself ;)

    I usually don't' like eggie dishes, but I loved that casserole you posted so much that I made it a second time. So if you post your recipe for this one, I just might try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe once I get the queso recipe perfected I'll post it, but honestly this is so good I'm thinking about making it again this weekend!

      Delete
  3. I love your bright springy outfit! I have to ask, are you wearing Magic Pantz? We sell something that looks like what you're wearing in the gift shop, and people have gone CRAZY for them. I just can't stop touching them whenever I fold them up for bagging - they're so soft. :)

    Glad your version of eggs Francisco hit the spot - but I want to hear about it when you have them with queso. And when you come to Texas, we'll have to go to Austin and have the original version with a side of pancakes, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what Magic Pantz are but they sound fabulous! These are just easy flowy pants that I bought at Macy's last year. They are one of their brands, "JM".

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love that outfit - it screams spring! And I was going to make some avocado toast this morning, but sadly opened it up and it was completely black on the inside - Hannah bought them when I was in Virginia and we let them sit too long - such a shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eggs Francisco aren't really avocado toast at all, they are eggs and other yummy things topped with avocado though! Avocados are weird - I feel like they have 30 seconds when they're perfect and are either under or over ripe outside that window.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love the first pic. I'd be a registered voter for the cocktail party too! You look wonderful and glowing Helen!!!!

    ReplyDelete