Monday, June 13, 2016

Quotidian

I seem to be at a loss for words these days and pressed for time to blog.  Not that there is anything really to blog about as it feels like I'm in a same old, same old pattern right now:  run, eat, work, sleep, repeat.  That's fine I guess.

I think of myself as someone who has a pretty good vocabulary but last week I learned a new word via a photo challenge that was going around on Facebook: quotidian.  Here's mine.

A hole that developed in our downstairs carpet, right in the middle of the floor.  We have no idea how.  The local branch of the company we bought it from was so rude when I contacted them about repair, that I wrote a letter to the COO at the corporate headquarters and complained.  We received the full amount we paid for the repair back in a refund check, along with an apology.


Mr. Helen's birthday cake, which was a four layer chocolate cake, with mousse filling and frosting, and a chocolate ganache drizzle on top. When I went to get it to put the ganache on it, it had imploded.  Have no idea why... it sure did taste delicious though. Mr. Helen named it the cow patty cake. (Pictured without ganache or candles.)

So many pretty sunrises while I'm out running in the morning.  One morning I even saw a moon set, then a sunrise.  I love running this time of year.


This made me laugh so hard!



Another running delight - spring flowers, which are done blooming but now we have honeysuckle!




It took me longer than usual to get the patio set up this year. 


In May, we had a couple of freak warm weekend days and I actually got to the beach a full month earlier this year.


What I've been practicing.



One of our favorite local restaurants has Soul Food Sunday.  Mr. Helen had the Southern Fried Dinner and I had the Soul Food Sampler. Delicious and a nice break from cooking. Plus, leftovers.




Our gorgeous niece on her Senior Prom night. She's beautiful inside and out and she's really smart. Was President of her class and so involved in her community.



She's headed off to Temple University in August so I made this basket of goodies as her graduation gift.


Quotidian
Of or occurring every day; daily; ordinary or everyday, especially when mundane.

9 comments:

  1. I LOVED this post! The James Brown check list made me LOL. And its only 5am :)

    Your niece looks so lovely. Her date still looks like a little boy. But a very nice little boy :) You are the best aunt. I bet she LOVED that present.

    I will remember that "eat and move like you love yourself."

    Great job on writing to the COO and getting your rug refund.

    Honeysuckle!! Chocolate cake!! Sunrises and moonsets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake made me laugh out loud. I bet it still tasted good, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. James Brown's list startled Paco because I was laughing at it...that one is perfect!

    Loved this post and the glimpse inside your world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had cakes implode for no reason at all....those always taste the absolute best though!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Mom had a similar experience with cake - she was having company over before we were born, and she made a red velvet cake with frosting. She put the cake lid on top, and then when she went to serve it, all the frosting absorbed into the cake, so all you saw was the cake! She said it was delicious though!

    And I've been enjoying the sunrises on my drive to the farmers market - it's so peaceful that time of day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures. I giggled at James Browns' "to do" list. Hilarious. I'm working on the "love yourself" list items, but it's a ways off yet. Your niece is gorgeous, good luck to her at Temple University, sounds like she has the "stuff" to be successful at whatever she chooses to do in life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the hole in the rug happy ending. I'm glad the birthday cake was delicious as it looked a bit funny.
    The pictures of the moon set and the sunrise - are awsome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love learning new words!!! I bet that cake tasted great! And LOL at Mr. Helen's name for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post!

    The cake shows we are human. I wonder how many professional chefs are out there and show their food that didn't work out well. And after all it's all about the taste. My most weird looking food is often the best taste.

    I had to laugh at the James Brown to do list, brilliant.

    ReplyDelete