Monday, October 3, 2016

And the Next Thing You Know, It's been a Month

I can't say for sure why I haven't been blogging regularly but I have some guesses.  First and foremost, most of the folks who actually read and interact with this blog have become friends with me on other social media, so unless I just want to write something down, I really have no need to blog anymore.  I mean, how many times do people want to see the same pictures?

The other thing is that September is always a really hard month for me.  As someone who loves summer and everything about it, we are suddenly plunged into cooler temperatures, and more than that, DARKNESS.  We lose daylight so rapidly in September that it's discouraging.  Not to mention that all my patio flowers die and well, it makes me sad to have to dismantle everything.

Believe me, I think about blogging all the time and often write them in my head while I'm out running... and then I just don't blog. So now that I am, I'll note a few things.

We always seem to have one cold snap in September and it happened on the 16th-17th.  Thankfully when the sun came out, it warmed up but honestly, it is depressing to get up and see this.  Besides wanting to run in daylight on the weekends, temperatures like this are another reason to wait for sunrise:


As summer wasn't even officially over yet, you can imagine I was less than thrilled.
My thoughts exactly, Calvin.

Speaking of running, that has been going well.  We are currently in the midst of a drought, which is not good for plants, but means that I have only been on my new treadmill two times in the past four or five months.  It has been nice to be able to run outside all the time.  I've been enjoying my longer runs on the weekend and nearly every week have taken photos of pretty flowers that I see.  I was delighted to see these flowers a couple weeks ago as things are dying off now.




That particular run, which started so well, ended badly.  I rolled my ankle on a chestnut that was hidden under a leaf and ended up body surfing the sidewalk.  I was exactly 7.75 miles into my run at the time.  I know this because the first thing I did when I sat up was to look at my Garmin and make sure it didn't break.  Mr. Helen said that was the dumbest thing he'd ever heard but I know fellow runners understand!  I had 1.25 miles to get home so I walked/jogged to get there.

Besides being covered with dirt, humiliated from publicly falling, some road rash, a sore shoulder/left side for a few days, and what turned out to be a slightly sprained ankle, I was fine. Thankfully it wasn't more serious.


I've been wearing a compression sleeve to control the swelling and I actually did have my doctor take a look at it when I went for a followup on something else.  He said I'd diagnosed correctly: slight sprain with some bruising.

I took a couple days off running, then walked a couple miles, then walk/jogged, then by last Saturday I was outright running again.  I finally made my 10-mile distance!  Sadly, I ended up doing it on the treadmill because it was cool and raining.  But at least I know I've built my endurance back up and look forward to running that 10 miles outside, very soon.

My weight loss has pretty much been stalled all summer.  I'm not sure why, but if it's thyroid related I'll know shortly as my doctor is having me do the bloodwork for that.  It has been super frustrating - to the point where I suspended my $5 bet with Mr. Helen.  I just needed a break because my mind was starting to freak out and I was wanting to do crazy things like fast, or the cabbage soup diet, or other dumb things.  So, I told him I wanted a break until mid October (more on that in a minute).

After my fall I went out shopping and consoled myself with a couple new outfits.  It ended up soothing me in more ways than one, because even though I've been frustrated with my weight loss plateau, I am down one full size from what I was wearing last fall/winter.  Here I am in one of the outfits (you can see the compression sleeve here too).


Still not where I want to be, but new clothes that fit well can make you feel better!

I guess the other news is that I got a new car.  I'd been thinking about it for some time because my old car had pretty decent trade-in/resale value.  I really wanted to get into something with all wheel drive due to having to drive in crappy weather.  I only work about 20 minutes away from where I live but it's all hills in between and winter driving has been stressful.  Once we got Mr. Helen's truck a few years ago, I would drive that but then he had the car.  Even though I wasn't looking forward to a car payment, now was the time as I figure I've got somewhere between 6-12 more years of full-time work ahead of me (barring a lottery win).

I knew exactly what I wanted and researched it to death so it really was just a matter of test driving and getting the best price.  It all worked out and now I own Titanium.  I love her!

She'll get her first long drive shortly we are going to DC to visit with Little Helen and son-in-law. We'll celebrate their birthdays while we are there and because Little Helen is a charter member, we got some of the coveted passes for the newest Smithsonian: The National Museum of African American History and Culture.  I'm really looking forward to that, as well as the other free sights and museums there.  I'm sure it won't be enough time, but it will be fun!  The only part of that trip I'm dreading is the drive.  It is just a very busy part of the US to drive from where we live to there and you really can't determine the time it will take simply by calculating miles.  I told Mr. Helen we'll just get in the car and when we get there, we get there.

Once we are back from that trip, I am going to try to reactivate my eat a little less but don't diet mindset - along with the $5 bet.  Hopefully my head will be in a better place.  I guess the one good thing is that even though I haven't been losing, I haven't gained either so I'm trying to focus on that.

8 comments:

  1. You look fantastic! Just stop that bad thinking about losing/not losing. You really look great.

    Those long lavender flowers are beautiful. I wonder what they are?

    And the new car! Gorgeous. I see its a Hyundai. Is it a Santa Fe? I really liked mine when I had it. Yes, you need all wheel drive when you have to drive in that crazy weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you, you are sweet. I'm wondering if those lavender flowers aren't some sort of variation of a butterfly bush? Maybe Lori would know.

      The car is actually a Honda CRV. It's the car I wanted but couldn't afford when I bought my last one. I got such a good deal because it's a 2016 and they are making way for the 2017 models.

      Delete
    2. Oh, now I see the CRV on the back. Anyway, it is a gorgeous car.

      And, I forgot to comment that I am jealous that you get to go to the brand new Africa American museum at the Smithsonian. Somewhere (maybe it was from you??) there was a link to a video preview of the museum, and it looks wonderful.

      Delete
  2. You DO look great - ignore whatever the scale says because LOOK AT YOU, firl. Seriously...all that running has made some good changes in your body.

    So glad you got a vehicle that can handle your ice and snow better. I always worried whenever your weather turned bad as I know your hill is terrifying. Plus, that is one sweet looking car!

    How cool to get to go to the newest Smithsonian! And getting to see your daughter and SIL will make that drive totally worth it. :)

    Why do we (the royal) get embarrassed when we fall down? I mean, kids fall and cry their heads off...why can't we? I'm relieved that you weren't hurt worse and that your ankle is healing. That could have been so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sitting here laughing out loud at your comment about falling because I kid you not, what I wanted to do was sit right there on that sidewalk and bawl my eyes out!

    And thank you for your compliment. Sometimes the changes are so slow they are hard to see so it's nice to see them through others' eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great Helen! And happy.

    I'm glad you got yourself checked out by the doc just to make sure. I get the Garmin thing. We were climbing steep rock stairs in Blarney Castle and I said to John, if I fall, grab my camera :D

    That flower is a butterfly bush. Make sure you smell it next time you go by. It smells a lot like honey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you look amazing! And glad that spill wasn't worse. And I haven't run a 5k in the longest time, so kudos on 10 miles, even if it was on a treadmill!

    With that said - I am off to the gym, probably for the first time in six weeks :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with the other girls: you look great! I see a well tones happy woman and others will see that too.

    I hear you on the blogging. I haven't blogged since August and I'm going to quit blogging in time. My readers, including you, are all friends on FB and most of you follow me on IG and see all my photos there.

    Hope you have a great time in DC with Little Helen and mr Little Helen

    ReplyDelete