Tuesday, November 1, 2016

And So It Goes

Eleven years ago when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, my doctor told me I might never get back to the weight I'd been pre-diagnosis.  She wasn't trying to discourage me but wanted me to have a realistic view of what it was going to be like.  While not everyone diagnosed with this has weight issues, I haven't been so lucky and as I think through these past years, I believe for about 6 months I was really, really close to a weight and size I'd like to be at but couldn't maintain it.  Now I can't even remember why or how the slow creep started because up until a couple years ago, I felt like I'd been on a constant diet.  I try not to think about it too much because it really ticks me off that she has been correct.

Last January it started cooking around in my brain that my thyroid levels had stayed consistent for a couple of years and that maybe now that I was fully menopausal, I could at least try to cut back my food a little and see if any weight loss would happen.  That's when I came up with the idea of the $5 bet with Mr. Helen.

Things were going along gangbusters and I was slowly, ever so slowly some weeks, losing a bit of weight.  I was really happy about it because I started feeling better and honestly was not dieting or depriving myself at all.

Somewhere around the end of June, Mr. Helen and I started passing the same $5 bill back and forth as one week I'd lose, the next I'd gain.  Over the summer, gains started being bigger than the losses, until finally around Labor Day I told Mr. Helen I wanted to pause the bet until after my race in October.  I was finding myself consumed with the fact that I wasn't losing weight and really just wanted to concentrate on my race.  I was truly feeling exhausted by it. This is a graph from the spreadsheet I set up for Mr. Helen to track the process.  While I had a couple ups, it pretty much was steadily heading down but look at the crazy up and down, up and down right in the middle.  That is July & August, followed by what turned out to be a steady gain in September.  Keep in mind that I hadn't changed a thing about how I was eating and was actually exercising a bit more. Blame me for taking a hiatus?



Additionally, I started not feeling well overall again - really fatigued -  but attributed that to all the running I was doing, plus at the end of August, I started a new part time job.  However, by the middle of September, I noticed my hair was coming out in handfuls and my nails kept breaking and wouldn't grow.  Also, my running pace had fallen off from what it was in May - like my legs were heavy. One night, in the middle of the night, I woke up and had the thought that maybe my thyroid was off.  So, I called the doctor and made an appointment.

While at the appointment, I told him I thought something was wrong - that I was having symptoms of hypothyroid again and asked if we could just run the tests.  Ask me how vindicated I felt when the test showed that my values jumped two whole points.  I knew it!

So now, my meds are adjusted and as soon as I get the graph back down to the lowest point, I'm restarting the $5 bet with Mr. Helen.  I know it will take a few weeks before I feel better and I'm looking forward to that.

In the meantime, I've been thinking a lot about what to do if I can't get this weight loss restarted again.  So far, this is all I've come up with:

14 comments:

  1. I understand you weren't actually dieting, so how did you expect to loose weight? with me it's only dieting that helps , all the other things such as physical activity are an illusion as far as weight loss is concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe in formal "dieting." Your diet is what you eat on a regular basis. You do not have to remove entire food groups or restrict calories in a ridiculous way to eat healthier and have a better diet. And lose weight. And while I didn't loose weight, I did lose weight.

      Delete
  2. How often do you get your thyroid levels checked? Is it an annual thing, because if so, maybe they can switch you to an additional blood test partway through the year...it seems a shame to have to endure the mess of what happens when your levels change for longer than necessary. I'm glad you realized that things were off and went to the doctor...amazing how getting those meds adjusted makes such a difference!

    I am right with you on needing to get taller. That would help!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, because my thyroid had stayed steady for several years, I'd been allowed to go to yearly checks. Now I'll have to go every 3 months for the next year, which sort of sucks. Then probably 6 months then back to yearly if it settles down again.

      Delete
    2. I agree it sucks to have to go back, but better to catch any changes quickly vs dealing with hair loss, etc.

      Delete
  3. Have you also had your adrenals tested? With all the fatigue, that may be playing a part as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they always test the adrenals as well. Those are fine - that fatigue is simply thyroid induced. Or I should say lack of thyroid induced lol.

      Delete
  4. I've been working on that getting taller thing since I was 13 years old! Mentally I'm a lot taller. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as my being mentally 35 counts, I'll count your mental height!

      Delete
  5. Yep, I've been trying to get taller since I was 10 - which is when I stopped growing! I'd be the perfect height/weight if I were 6 foot 1!

    Glad you got on the meds - hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to be about 6 foot tall too lol!

      Delete
  6. Don't you feel like this aging thing just is the worst? At least when it comes to weight? At least that's what I'm blaming my tummy on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea how badly I wish it was just due to aging. You're right aging is bad enough but when you add in non-existent thyroid function, it truly stinks!

      Delete
  7. I'm glad that you had the lightbulb moment that made you realize that your levels were off! I've got my fingers crossed that everything levels out quickly! As for the weight loss....it will all start to drop again!!!!

    ReplyDelete