Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Invictus

I have been feeling a bit lost at sea with the United States election and even more so because of the aftermath.  I have actually had days when I felt like my soul was cracking because of the hatred and vitriol I've seen and heard of.

Additionally there has been some stuff going on with my extended family that is very, very hard and likely not to resolve for a while.  A bit of a double whammy if you will.

Honestly, all of it combined has been bad enough that I've literally been forcing myself to get out of bed, exercise, and go to work.  And though I know most of this stuff is temporary, I've felt like a fish out of water as I search for the path I need to take.

I'm thankful for compassionate and understanding friends, especially since one reminded me of this:

Out of the night that covers me, 
      Black as the pit from pole to pole, 
I thank whatever gods may be 
      For my unconquerable soul. 

In the fell clutch of circumstance 
      I have not winced nor cried aloud. 
Under the bludgeonings of chance 
      My head is bloody, but unbowed. 

Beyond this place of wrath and tears 
      Looms but the Horror of the shade, 
And yet the menace of the years 
      Finds and shall find me unafraid. 

It matters not how strait the gate, 
      How charged with punishments the scroll, 
I am the master of my fate, 
      I am the captain of my soul. 

INVICTUS
by William Ernest Henley

11 comments:

  1. This is good. I keep thinking of the lyrics to a song by Sting: "when the world is running down, we make the best of what's still around". Tough times right now. You aren't the only one feeling like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm at such a loss, pretty much the only thing that gives me any comfort is knowing others feel the same.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry for your family issues, I know that is really challenging. As for our country, well...the good thing that might have come out of all of this is that people are no longer letting things slide by? Case in point, that WV mayor who resigned after letting her prejudice show - that was the result of a lot of people saying NOT ACCEPTABLE. Now let's see if we can't get Bannon off of the team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I think about Bannon being there it makes me want to cry. I just have no comprehension.

      Delete
  3. I have a feeling that Trump is going to do something so stupid that he'll get impeached and not even make it four years.

    This was my favorite line in that post: I am the captain of my soul. :D

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Impeachment scares me too because Pence might even be worse. It's going to be a long four years.

      Delete
  4. Ooh, great thoughts!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's tough, Helen. I wear the safety pin. Here in upstate it's a bit more red than downstate, unfortunately. Political talk has been banned from family gatherings for now because we were on opposite sides and emotionally I can't handle hearing reasons for voting. We were all out together last night and it kind of felt like the elephant in the room.

    We can persevere and there are more good people than not, even though the nots speak more loudly than most.

    {hugs}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks.

    I still want to punch someone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you are feeling down right now. I hear you on the family issues, everything seemed to be fine in ours but last weekend there was a clash between family members. But we have been in the middle too often and stay out of it this time.

    The US elections are still talk of the day here, for us it's hard to believe this happened either. There's nothing that can be done right now and we have to wait and see what happens. Let's just hope it won't be that bad.

    ReplyDelete