Thursday, December 29, 2016

To Hell in a Handbasket

I know a lot of folks who are glad to be seeing 2016 go far, far away.  Seems like lots of troubling things have happened along with many celebrity deaths.  So many in the last couple of weeks, I think I've lost count.

Interestingly,  I actually hadn't felt that way for most of the year, but then my little brother died on December 9th. (One of the reasons I haven't been blogging).

My brother had been sick for most of 2016 and progressively got worse.  The last two weeks of his life were literal hell.  I can't/don't want to talk about it much but suffice it to say even while grieving his death, we were so glad he was no longer suffering in all the ways he had been for the last year.

Joe and me at his daughter's wedding in 2010

Immediately it felt like the little nagging issues of 2016 (my thyroid, the fall which injured my ankle and shoulder, the lack of a real vacation, etc.) were nothing in comparison to the feeling that suddenly everything had gone to hell in a handbasket.

This is the brother who I grew up with and is only 15 months younger than me.  We were the two who got moved all over the USA our entire growing up years - sometimes we moved more than once in a year, which made us always the new kids in town. As I said at his memorial, because of this, we rooted IN each other and we rooted FOR each other. We even shared an apartment in our late 20's and early 30's when both of us were going through a difficult time.  Just one of many shared experiences in our lives. This is a hard loss for me.

Joe at my daughter's wedding in 2015


Needless to say, the holidays felt different this year.  He was in the hospital for Thanksgiving and it was just odd for him not to be around.  Then of course Christmas came and he had already been gone for two weeks.

I know from experience only time changes the face of grief.  It never really goes away, but it changes and becomes more manageable. I'm looking forward to the passing of time.

14 comments:

  1. Dear Helen, I was so glad to see you writing again. I think about you all the time. Truly. Because I cannot imagine the pain and loss of losing a brother. Know that my prayers and thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very sorry to hear about the passing of your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry about the loss of your brother. Sending hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you shared this with us, especially the memory of being there for each other so much when you were little (and again with the apartment sharing later on). This is just a crap thing to go through and I'm very sorry for you and your entire family, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sincerest condolences! I've also lost my brother, so I know what you're going through.
    May God strengthen and comfort you during this hard time of grief!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time heals, experience the grief, it's hard and I'm sorry. Live on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so very sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine the void you guys felt during the holidays this year. My heart goes out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too young indeed. You've had a lot of grief in the last few years, but somehow I think this one hit you the hardest. Sending GIANT hugs your way! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry for your loss. As we (me and my siblings) get older, losing one is one of my greatest fears. God bless and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, I am so sorry to hear about your loss!!!! Hugs to you as your deal with the grief and remember the awesomeness that was your brother!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Helen, I'm so very sorry for your loss. I still read all your posts but rarely comment. I know what it's like to lose a sibling. I lost my sister two years ago and it hit me hard. We'd only been really close the last eight years of her life, so I can only imagine how hard losing your brother was for when you'd been close since childhood. Sending prayers your way. Take care sweet Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Again I am so sorry for you loss Helen. You were so close as I read it.

    Grief never goes away but like you said it changes. Take care and a big virtual hug from me.

    ReplyDelete