Monday, February 27, 2017

Workouts, Steps, and What I Ate in a Day

Just for something completely different, I thought I'd share last week's movement/exercise/workouts and I also photographed what I ate on one day.  I always like seeing what other people eat and now that I've done it, I have to say I admire bloggers who document all their food this way!

Sunday:
It was 57 degrees outside and I'd been to brunch so I figured taking a nice walk couldn't hurt. Because this is technically a rest day for me, I didn't walk for speed or for distance, just went down to the beach and started walking.  Ended up doing 2.6 miles.  Total steps for Sunday: 10,023

Monday:
Woke up at 4 a.m., got dressed to run and had a cup of coffee before heading out.  Lots of melting over the weekend plus the temperature not dropping to freezing meant I could try to run outside and run I did.  Had one of my best runs in recent memory - best for overall feel and a better pace as well. 3.09 miles done.  Total steps for Monday: 10,083

Tuesday:
Hit the snooze too many times and didn't drag myself out of bed until 4:20.  Got dressed and had a cup of coffee.  It was only 26 degrees with a 24 windchill so I figure this would be a good day to start with some strength training/toning type exericses:

I did 2 sets of 15 of each exercise: Chest Press 15#; Seated Upright Row 15#; Lateral Side Raise 5# (I'm being very cautious with this exercise because my left arm still twinges from when I fell last September); Stability Ball Crunches (2x25); Standing Bicep Curl 12#; Tricep Kickbacks 10#; Doggy Leg Raises; Donkey Kicks; Outer Thigh Leg Raises; Inner Thigh Leg Raises, Squats, Raised Hamstring Bridges; Standing Calf Raises; Stability Ball Jackknife

That took me 25 minutes because you do them as supersets; then I took off and walked for 30 minutes.  Total Steps for Tuesday: 8584 - a perfect example of what happens when I run or walk shorter and end up sitting and/or standing still a lot at work, followed by not much movement when I get home.

Wednesday:
Outside for a run as it was 40 degrees at 4:45.  Unfortunately, had a truck drive straight at me, yell at me to get off the road, and I had to jump into a snow bank.  People are stupid. BUT, you can see I stuck my landing lol! And I got 3 miles done even though I was shaken up.


After my regular job, I went to my part-time job where I stand the entire time but don't do much moving around. Total steps for Wednesday: 10,903

Thursday:
Had the usual 4 am wake up.  Gave myself a manicure and had coffee and finally got out the door just before 5.  It was weirdly super foggy but chilly (38 degrees).  My legs felt like they needed a break so I did 2 minutes of walking/1 minute of running for 45 minutes.  Work was its usual sedentary self, though I am making a conscious effort to stand 4-6 hours every day.  Thursday evening is when I try to do all my vacuuming and clean the wood floors, and dust throughout the house.  Total steps for Thursday: 11,172

Friday:
No workout today - just needed a rest day. Stood for most of the day at work and also went to part time job for another 4 hours after work. This step count shows exactly how sedentary my work days are, even though I stand a lot. Total steps for Friday: 5,070

Saturday:
Finally got a longer run in - 5 miles.  Finished it off by doing 4 sets of 25 each of pushups, squats, lunges, stability ball jackknives, and stability ball crunches.  This was actually a more sedentary than usual Saturday for me - went to brunch, grocery shopped, then came home and sat around while watching TV and doing some laundry.  Total steps for Saturday: 14,074


What I Ate on Wednesday:

At 7:45, once I was settled at work, breakfast was a mushroom omelette topped with feta cheese and chopped tomatoes.

Around 10:45 I was wanting something so I ate some fruit:  1 banana and 1/2 cup of blueberries.  I'm super picky and weird with fruit, but I like this combo and it tasted delicious!


Lunch at 1:00 was leftover chicken and rice with some roasted broccoli. Normally I would have something like a salad or sandwich but didn't have time to put it together as I was running late.  This is when the individual freezer leftovers come in very handy - just grabbed this and added the broccoli, which was a fridge leftover.

7:30 dinner was sliced leftover rotisserie chicken breast on multigrain bread and a few Terra Vegetable Chips. I seriously would like to eat earlier (because I head to bed between 8-8:30) but it's hard on days I work my second job.  It's also hard when Mr. Helen is home.  He doesn't eat lunch until about 2 p.m. every day which means he's not hungry at 6-6:30.  Sometimes he's not even hungry at 7!  I'm hoping that changes when he retires.


After dinner I ate 2 pieces of candy from my Russell Stover Valentine Heart.  I probably didn't "need" this, but wanted a little something sweet.


As far as drinks go, I had two cups of coffee in the morning and then drank water the rest of the day, including with meals.

This is pretty much how I workout and eat day in and day out (with the exception that my salad game ramps up in the summer - sometimes I eat a salad for lunch and another for dinner). So, nothing special, no secrets, tips, or tricks, just grinding it out day after day in hopes of being healthy and staying active to keep the family aches, pains, and arthritis at bay.

8 comments:

  1. Kudos for your perseverence!
    I see you eat sensibly, having protein with each meal.
    I suppose in this way you maintain a slim figure and good health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! I'm glad you avoided the truck and stuck your landing! I have near misses more often than I care to think about. WTH is wrong with people?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Idiot drivers that take sport in trying to terrorize runners and bikers in the road should be fined big bucks!!!! Glad that your ok!!!

    Love your exercise routine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought of you on Friday when we stopped at the Russell Stover factory. We behaved ourselves this go-round and only got one item each plus the sample they gave us. In case you were wondering, they do sell a three pound box of "bloopers" for $12. Also in case you were wondering, that is a helluva lot of chocolate.

    You do so much in living a healthy lifestyle on a daily basis - way more than I do. I need to step up my game...as you said, it's for much more than just looks, it's for feeling good.

    Also? I'd like to throw a rock at that truck driver, but your "stuck the landing" did make me laugh. Still, grrr!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your eats look good! At first I thought the omelette was covered in strawberries LOL.

    How are you feeling with the strength training?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like what strength training does in terms of toning, etc. but I have a serious mental block about it. Even though I know I need to figure out how to get it in several times a week, I just don't!

      Delete
  6. Impressive-both the workouts and the good simple eats. But I have to say, I am completely astounded that you could get up at 4 in the morning and do that vigorous strength training routine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did I miss this post? I love seeing what other people eat, obviously :D

    That's one good thing about not cooking for the kadults anymore - sometimes they don't eat dinner until 10 pm! When we went out for Hannah's birthday we didn't even get to the restaurant until nearly 9 p.m. on a work night! Wow, I am really sounding old, aren't I?! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete